Under Construction: Springwater Connector
Construction is beginning on the Springwater Connector – key segments of walking and biking paths in East Portland. Funded by PBOT’s Fixing Our Streets program, Emerio was the prime consultant providing project management and civil engineering services for this trail and street design project to provide improved bicycle and pedestrian access, greenway improvements, and connections to the nearby Springwater Corridor.
Existing roadway conditions on SE 75th Pl.
Existing trail connection from SE 87th Ave.
Emerio worked with subconsultants Casso Consulting and Global Transportation Engineering to design the following improvements:
- Half street improvements including the addition of street paving, sidewalk and furnishing zone at SE 87th Ave. and SE 75th Pl.
- Two formal pedestrian crossings and a dedicated mid-block crossing at SE Flavel St.
- A 14’ wide asphalt multi-use path through Flavel Park.
- Speed bumps for traffic calming at SE Harney St. and SE 77th Ave.
- Safety enhancements including lighting at pedestrian crossings
- New pedestrian facilities connecting to the Springwater Trail at two locations
- Creative stormwater solutions
Design Notes from Anthony Quinn, EI – Lead Civil Designer on this project:
“This was the first public works project where I took on the lead design role and I enjoyed utilizing 3D design tools to produce a quality design that met the City’s design standards. Our biggest challenge on this project was determining the most appropriate design solution for each ADA accessible pathway. We were able to resolve this by working with the City’s civil design staff and evaluating our constraints and then coming to an agreement on the best proposed solution for each scenario. I learned a lot about storm design, roadway design, PBOT’s ADA design requirements, and the importance of communication with our subconsultants and the City’s design staff.”